Quick Links

Stanton Community Schools

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

DECEMBER 18, 2019, REGULAR BOARD MEETING MINUTES

The Stanton School District Board of Directors met at 5:30 PM on Wednesday, December 18, 2019, in the Board Room for a regular session. President Brian Bates called the meeting to order with Directors Travis Taylor, John McDonald, and Sally Stoakes present. Additional attendees were Superintendent David Gute, Business Manager Shirley Maxwell, and Board Secretary Tammy Boyer.

APPROVAL OF AGENDA

Director Taylor made a motion to approve the agenda with a second by Director Stoakes. The motion carried unanimously.

REPORTS

The 2020 Suburban is here. The 1997 van was traded in for $1,000 for this vehicle.

CONSENT AGENDA

Director Taylor made a motion to approve the consent agenda of past minutes, reports, and bills with a second by Director McDonald. The motion carried unanimously.

SUPERINTENDENT UPDATE

Superintendent Gute reported that over the break the custodian staff and he would be meeting to discuss the HVAC system. The Viking Center gym floor should be ready to be used the 2nd week of January. The Elementary is needing computer and IPad updates. The Football field drainage problem needs to be addressed in the spring. Business Manager Maxwell will be getting salary figures from area schools for classified staff.

NEW BUSINESS

PLAYGROUND IMPROVEMENTS

Superintendent Gute shared several playground options with the board. There was discussion with Mrs. Leanne Johnson, 4th grade teacher, sharing which option the elementary staff liked best. 

K-12 Principal Kevin Blunt arrived at 6:30 PM.

PRESCHOOL PLAYGROUND

The preschool board would like to build a playground for the preschool. The preschool board shared 4 options for places to put the playground they had researched. One of the options was the lot the school owns west of the Viking Center. After discussion the preschool board will have someone come and look at the lot to see if there is room for a playground plus options for the school to use the lot as planned.

PRINCIPAL UPDATE

Principal Blunt reported that the curtain had been installed with a thanks to Brian Bates, Jim Bates, Thomas Bates, and Travis Taylor for installing it. Football would be shared with Essex for the next 2 years. The high school track meet with Griswold in Griswold will be on April 2 and the junior high meet will be in Stanton on April 14. The FFA attended the FMTC ReConnect program as a group. FCCLA will have a Pink Out Night on January 14. Congratulations to Ms. Kelsey Schmidt and the elementary staff for their work prior to and the night of Santa Lucia. The elementary singers and dancers performed well that night. The high school Christmas Concert is December 19 at 7 PM. This Friday will be the Student Council Fun Day for students with an early out that day.

ISASP DATA

Mrs. Sheila Mainquist, school counselor, presented the results of the ISASP testing. In all areas but one, one class in one section, the school was higher than the state.

SERVICE/INSURANCE AGREEMENT

Director Stoakes made a motion to approve the Service/Insurance Agreement with Specialty Underwriters for the 3 new copiers for $2498 for the remainder FY20, with a second by Director Taylor. The motion carried unanimously.

PEANUT/NUT AWARENESS POLICY

After discussion Director Stoakes made a motion to approve the peanut/nut awareness policy with a second by Director Taylor. The motion carried unanimously.

SCHOOL BOARD POLICY

Director Taylor made a motion to approve School Board Policies Code No. 401.6 (Limitations to Employment References), 401.10 (Credit and Procurement Cards), 504.3 (Student Publications), 505.5 (Graduation Requirements), 505.8 (Parent and Family Engagement Policy), 707.5 (Internal Controls), 712 (Technology and Data Security), and 804.2 (District Emergency Operations Plans) with a second by Director McDonald. The motion carried unanimously.

ADJOURNMENT

President Bates adjourned the meeting at 7:22 PM.  The next regular meeting for the board is set for January 15 at 5:30 PM in the Board Room

More Headlines