Quick Links

Stanton Community Schools

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

NOVEMBER 19, 2019, REGULAR BOARD MEETING MINUTES

The Stanton School District Board of Directors met at 5:30 PM on Tuesday, November 19, 2019, in the Board Room for a regular session. President Brian Bates called the meeting to order with Directors Travis Taylor, Amy Tibben and Tom Weis present. Additional attendees were Superintendent David Gute, K-12 Principal Kevin Blunt, Business Manager Shirley Maxwell, and Board Secretary Tammy Boyer. Guests were John McDonald and Sally Stoakes.

PUBLIC PRESENTERS

Mrs. Jill Isaacson, math teacher, presented a slide show showing the Engineering Day at ISU that she took 11 Middle School students to. They participated in several different areas and the student were able to build a couple of different projects.

Slade Graham and Ashley Henneman, FFA members, reported on the FFA trip to National Convention in Indianapolis, IN. The members were able to go on tours, the career show and attend the convention. Both said they would like to attend again.

APPROVAL OF AGENDA

Director Taylor made a motion to approve the agenda with a second by Director Tibben. The motion carried unanimously.

ANNUAL MEETING

CALL TO ORDER

Board Secretary Boyer called the meeting to order and administered the oath of office to newly elected Directors John McDonald and Sally Stoakes.

ELECTIONS OF OFFICERS

ELECTION OF BOARD PRESIDENT

Director Taylor made a motion to elect Director Bates as President of the Board of Directors for the 2019-2020 school year with a second by Director McDonald. The motion carried unanimously.

The meeting was turned over to President Bates.

ELECTION OF VICE PRESIDENT

Director Tibben made a motion to elect Director Taylor as Vice President of the Board of Directors for the 2019-2020 school year with a second by Director Stoakes. The motion carried unanimously.

APPOINTMENT OF BOARD SECRETARY

Director Taylor made a motion to appoint Tammy Boyer as Board Secretary with a second by Director Stoakes. The motion carried unanimously.

APPOINTMENT OF TREASURER/BUSINESS MANAGER

Director Taylor made a motion to appoint Shirley Maxwell as Treasurer/Business Manager for 2019-2020 with a second by Director McDonald. The motion carried unanimously.

APPOINTMENT OF NEWSPAPER FOR PUBLICATIONS

Director Tibben made a motion to approve Villisca Review/Stanton Viking as the newspaper for publications for 2019-2020 with a second by Director Taylor. The motion carried unanimously.

DEPOSITORY RESOLUTION AND LIMITS

Director Tibben made a motion to name Great Western Bank as the district’s financial depository and to set the depository limit at $4 million for 2019-2020 with a second by Director Stoakes. The motion carried unanimously.

DESIGNATION OF LEGAL COUNSEL

Director McDonald made a motion to appoint Ahlers Law Firm as legal counsel for 2019-2020 with a second by Director Taylor. The motion carried unanimously.

REGULAR MEETING DATES AND TIMES

Director Taylor made a motion to have regular board meetings on the third Wednesday of each month at 5:30 PM with a second by Director Tibben. The motion carried unanimously.

BOARD COMMITTEES

Director Tibben made a motion for the board committees for 2019-2020 school year to be:

Technology – John McDonald and Sally Stoakes

Transportation – Brian Bates and Sally Stoakes

Budget & Finance –Amy Tibben and John McDonald

Personnel –Travis Taylor and Amy Tibben

Building & Grounds – Brian Bates and Travis Taylor

with a second by Director Taylor. The motion carried unanimously.

APPOINTMENT OF 504/EQUITY/HOMELESS COORDINATOR

Director Taylor made a motion to approve Sheila Mainquist as At-Risk/504/Equity/Homeless Coordinator for the 2019-2020 school year with a second by Director Stoakes. The motion carried unanimously.

K-12 Principal Kevin Blunt arrived at 6:30 PM.

CONSENT AGENDA

Director Taylor made a motion to approve the consent agenda of past minutes, reports, and bills with a second by Director Tibben. The motion carried unanimously.

PERSONNEL

PARAPROFESSIONAL

Director Taylor made a motion to approve Jeremy Adams as a paraprofessional for 2019-2020 school year with a second by Director Stoakes. The motion carried unanimously.

SUPERINTENDENT UPDATE

Superintendent Gute reported that he had 2 designs for the playground equipment and will be getting 1 more. The football field has some problems with drainage and will have to have something done in the spring to help with this.

NUT AWARENESS BOARD POLICY

Superintendent Gute shared a board policy dealing with nut awareness that he will bring to the board next month that will be put into place in January 2020.

PRINCIPAL UPDATE

Principal Blunt thanked PTSO for the staff lunch on Parent/Teacher Conference day. The curtain is here that the Booster Club purchased for the storage area in the gym. Also thanks to the Booster Club for their donation of $1500 for boys basketball uniforms. The football team finished the year 4-5 and the volleyball team finished 21-15. There are 15 JH boys, 12 JH girls, 10 HS girls, and 18 HS boys out for basketball. Parent/Teacher Conferences were held on October 24 with parent participation of 37%-HS, 75%-JH, and just short of 100% for elementary. The Conference Music Festival was held in Griswold last night.

GOOD NEWS

Congratulations to the following:

Colton Thornburg 1st Team All-District Wide Receiver

Keygan Day 1st Team All-District Utility and 2nd team Quarterback

Logan Roberts 2nd Team All District Linebacker

Tara Peterson 1st Team All-Conference

Brooklyn Adams 2nd Team All-Conference

Marleigh Johnson 2nd Team All-Conference

Jenna Stephens 2nd Team All-Conference

Tara Peterson who was elected President of the District FCCLA

Kaitlyn Bruce who was elected Recorder of the District FCCLA

Riley Burke who was selected to participate in the 2019 Southwest Iowa Bandmasters Association Middle School Honor Band

The Middle School students and TAG teacher Mrs. Sheila Mainquist for participating the FIRST LEGO League competition. The 8th graders received the Project Award and the 7th graders received the Core Values Award.

The Government class and Mr. Dave Snyder for making the Veteran’s Day Ceremony a great program.

FUNDRAISERS

Director Stoakes made a motion to approve the cookie fundraiser for the junior class for prom expenses with a second by Director Tibben. The motion carried unanimously.

NEW BUSINESS

VIKING CENTER PURPLE SPONSORSHIP PACKAGE

Director Tibben make a motion to approve the school participating in the Viking Center Purple Sponsorship Package for $300 for the 1st year and $200 for the next 2 years with a second by Director McDonald. The motion carried unanimously.

CMI BID FOR HVAC IMPROVEMENTS

Director Stoakes made a motion to approve the bid from CMI for $4,954 for HVAC Improvements with a second by Director Taylor. The motion carried unanimously.

IOWA STEM AWARD

Director Tibben make a motion to approve the Iowa Stem Award for $25,000 with a second by Director McDonald. The motion carried unanimously.

GREEN HILLS AEA BOARD OF DIRETOR

Director Stoakes made motion to vote for Karen Thomsen for Green Hills AEA Board of Directors-District 3 with a second by Director Tibben. The motion carried unanimously.

OPEN ENROLLMENT

Director Tibben made a motion to approve Brayton and Trenton Michael for open enrollment from Stanton to Lenox for the 2019-2020 school year due to a move with a second by Director McDonald.  The motion carried unanimously.

Director Stoakes made a motion to approve Lucas Swanson for open enrollment from Stanton to Essex for the 2019-2020 school year with a second by Director Tibben. The motion carried unanimously.

SBRC APPLICATION FOR OPEN ENROLLMENT OUT

Director McDonald made a motion to approve the SBRC Application for approximately $67,360 for Open Enrollment Out with a second by Director Taylor. The motion carried unanimously.

SCHOOL BOARD POLICY

Superintendent Gute presented School Board Policies Code No. 401.6 (Limitations to Employment References), 401.10 (Credit and Procurement Cards), 504.3 (Student Publications), 505.5 (Graduation Requirements), 505.8 (Parent and Family Engagement Policy), 707.5 (Internal Controls), 712 (Technology and Data Security), and 804.2 (District Emergency Operations Plans) for first reading, revise, and review.

ADJOURNMENT

President Bates adjourned the meeting at 7:15 PM.  The next regular meeting for the board is set for December 18, 2019 at 5:30 PM in the Board Room

More Headlines